[Rcpp-devel] PKG_CPPFLAGS and PKG_LIBS not being picked for compilation

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Thu Apr 24 00:16:42 CEST 2014

Hi Chaomei,

On 23 April 2014 at 14:57, Chaomei Lo wrote:
| I am testing the TRNG (Random number generation) using Rcpp, but it seems like
| the PKG_CPPFLAGS and PKG_LIBS not being picked for compilation and creating
| shared library.  I invoked the R shell right above the “trng”.

I would recommend to use a package instead.

Then you can set whatever you need in src/Makevars.

sourceCpp() was not designed for this.  If you insist, you can write yourself
your own plugin (see eg the Rcpp FAQ) but you may still want a package to
provide the plugin.

I suspect you are getting bitten here in as much as the environment
variables being set to R and affect one subshell which calls 'R CMD ...' but
not into the commands being spawned by R.

In a nutshell, this method is not documented to work, so just don't do it...

Dirk