[Rcpp-devel] RcppMLPACK ?

James Li jamesyili at gmail.com
Sun Apr 6 04:10:00 CEST 2014

Hello Damian and other Rcpp Devs,

I am extremely interested in putting in (non-trivial) time into something
like this - but I am not sure I am expert enough to head such a project.

My question to you is: have you or anyone else started a project like this
that I can contribute to? And if not, could someone point me the right way
to get started?

Thanks!

Best,
James

On Mon, Jan 20, 2014 at 9:42 AM, Dirk Eddelbuettel <edd at debian.org> wrote:

> Damian,
>
> On 20 January 2014 at 20:12, Damian Lyons wrote:
> | Dear Rcpp developers,
> |
> | Firstly, many thanks for your work on Rcpp.  It has saved me countless
> hours
> | (or is that months?) of simulation time.
> |
> | I'm a big fan of RcppArmadillo and Armadillo.  Recently I came across
> MLPACK,
> | which is a large and useful C++ machine learning library that uses
> Armadillo:
> | http://mlpack.org
>
> Sure. I am in somewhat regular contact with Ryan Curtin, its lead
> developer,
> because of our joint interactions with Conrad and his priceless Armadillo
> library.  But Ryan is a grad student, and we while we have talked about R
> binding (meaning the real thing and not just some SWIG interfaces), he is
> not
> exactly overflowing with free time. Neither am I.
>
> | If you have the time to do so, I humbly request for an official
> RcppMLPACK
> | package.  I believe other people will also find it useful.  I'm currently
> | copying and pasting code out of MLPACK into my own package, but this is
> not the
> | most friendly solution.
>
> This makes YOU the perfect candidate to start a project NOW as YOU need IT.
> And YOU have already worked with both pieces.
>
> None of our projects became what they are overnight. You have to start
> somewhere.  Do it right, do it in the open, and if you do that and have
> some
> luck maybe others will join and help.
>
> Dirk
>
> --
> Dirk Eddelbuettel | edd at debian.org | http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com

James Li *|* Ph.D. Candidate *|* http://jamesyili.com/
Dept. of Statistical Science *|* Cornell University