[Rcpp-devel] Compiled/installed version mismatch

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Sat Apr 5 19:15:10 CEST 2014

On 5 April 2014 at 18:18, Xavier Robin wrote:
| So my question is: how can I avoid this problem in the future?

We try to be very clear and attempted to broadly communicate the need for
rebuilds when Rcpp 0.11.0 was released.

| Right now I'm going to push an update that will require Rcpp 0.11.1, but it
| doesn't feel quite right... 0.10.6 is working perfectly fine after all! And

You are of course free to distribute Rcpp 0.10.6 alongside your package.

| what happens when Rcpp 0.12.0 is released? Do I need to push an update again
| just in case?

As of today, we do not know what 0.12.0 will contain (besides what is in
0.11.1 or the repo), or when it will be released.  So we cannot answer that
question.

That said, we made several dozen Rcpp releases since 2008. And all but one
(or two?) upgrades were non-breaking.

In general, we try our best to provide stable, consistent and maintained
interfaces.  Sometimes a change is worth it the disruption. We feel this was
one of these times.  I hope you still trust us that such events will be rare.