[Rcpp-devel] RcppEigen not compiling under Solaris 10 INTEL

Douglas Bates bates at stat.wisc.edu
Mon Sep 30 23:42:21 CEST 2013

On Mon, Sep 30, 2013 at 4:16 PM, Dirk Eddelbuettel <edd at debian.org> wrote:

> Hi Martyn,
>
> On 30 September 2013 at 21:02, Martyn Plummer wrote:
> | I've already been asked to look into this by Brian.  I can't say I've
> rolled up my sleeves very far, but the problem appears to be in Eigen
> itself.
>
> Cool!  Good to know.
>
> | I should clarify that I'm not volunteering to maintain RcppEigen, but I
> will provide patches as and when.
>
> That too is appreciated!
>
> The Eigen code on CRAN has not been updated in a while. The version number
> (0.3.1.2.1) reflect both upstream Eigen 3.1.2 (two patch releases behind
> Eigen in the 3.1.* series which is now at 3.1.4) and the mandatory change
> for
> JSS once the paper was accepted.
>
> Changing 3.1.2 to 3.1.3/3.1.4 may help. Or it may not.  Maybe 3.2.0
> upstream
> will help.
>
> Changing to 3.1.4 or, better, 3.2, would be a good idea.  In particular,
the 3.2 version provides Cholesky, LU and QR sparse factorizations that do
not depend on SuiteSparse (the package of C libraries of which CHOLMOD is
part).

Unfortunately, the current maintainer played a little fast and loose by
adding a couple of wrinkles to the Eigen code itself and using these
wrinkles in lme4.

I had been hoping to put off the switch to Eigen 3.2 for a while longer as
I am facing some deadline pressures on another project.  But perhaps it
would be best to create an experimental branch using Eigen 3.2.  Best case,
the fixes for lme4 are easy.  Worst case ...

Ben's message came through while I was writing this.  If you are interested
look at the last link he gives

http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lib.eigen/991

and you will see that the sort of error messages showing up in the
RcppEigen log were present in 2010 and the reaction of the Eigen developers
is that the compiler is complaining about code that follows the standard
and is compilable on other systems.