[Rcpp-devel] long long

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Thu Sep 19 15:30:34 CEST 2013

On 19 September 2013 at 14:18, Romain Francois wrote:
| (rebrand as a Rcpp-devel question)

I just re-explained it on our internal rcpp-core list. The same points were
all made here too circa 2010 and are in the list archives.

In short, we are up against a CRAN Policy which wants

  i)   "standards compliant code" put unfortunately insists on a 15 year old
       standard (C++98)

  ii)  "portable code" as it maintains that there are compilers not named g++
       or clang++ which matter (which I sort of agree with on theoretical
       grounds, in practice I'd be ready to differ).

But in short it is not our call.  If we want Rcpp to be on CRAN (and I
maintain that we do) then we do NOT get long long.  At least not yet.

But I guess by the time we all are retired CRAN may allow the C++11 standard.