[Rcpp-devel] error using sourceCpp after update

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Thu Oct 31 16:23:34 CET 2013

Hi Mat,

On 31 October 2013 at 15:03, Weldon, Mat wrote:
| I have been using Rcpp for a few weeks, and have just tried to install
| RcppArmadillo, but it failed because apparently there is a dependency on Rcpp
| version >=0.10.5 (I have 0.10.4 loaded). Just now I have tried to update Rcpp,
| but each time version 0.10.4 is downloaded from CRAN (I tried a couple of
| mirrors in the UK).

Rcpp 0.10.6 is current, and on the CRAN site, including a Windows zip. Nobody
suggests to use outdated mirrors, and nobody forces you to stick with one.
Bandwidth from Lancaster to Vienna should not be an issue.

As discussed here, CRAN did not provide Windows binaries for Rcpp 0.10.5 as
it had an undeclared dependency on R (>= 3.0.0) due to the vignette processing.
We corrected this in Rcpp 0.10.6.

| I did briefly try to download the zip file of 0.10.6 and install it using install.packages("Rcpp",lib="C:/Users/weldonm.LANCS/Downloads/Rcpp.zip",repos=NULL)
|
| But couldn?t get it to work, probably because of inexperience with this way of
| installing packages.

With all due respect, please check the manuals and copious examples. I prefer
to the the command-line here -- but if you want to use install.packages, look
at its help and understand that you used lib= incorrectly.

| Warning in install.packages :
|
|   'lib = "C:/Users/weldonm.LANCS/Downloads/Rcpp.zip"' is not writable
|
| Error in install.packages : zipfile ?Rcpp? not found

See above.

As Rcpp and RcppArmadillo are about compiling, you want to understand how to
compile a package from source.  Your usage of the package will otherwise hit
a limit at some point.

| However, now when I try to use sourceCpp on any of my cpp files (which were
| previously working) I get the message:
|
| Error: 'RcppLdFlags' is not an exported object from 'namespace:Rcpp'

That issue was forced upon us by R 3.0.2 and is addressed in Rcpp 0.10.5 and
0.10.6.

| Any help would be greatly appreciated as I was hoping to be able to use the
| sampling functionality in RcppArmadillo, but now I would be glad to be able to
| source any of my functions!

Try to find generic help on how to install R packages, how to install R
package using a compiler and so on.  Chapter 2 of my book has some detail on
setup issues.