[Rcpp-devel] Fwd: CRAN packages with C++ compilation errors on OS X 10.9

baptiste auguie baptiste.auguie at gmail.com
Thu Oct 31 15:59:50 CET 2013

Dear Rcpp gurus,

Today a CRAN maintainer informed us of the failure of a few Rcpp-related
packages to build under the new version of the Mac operating system, OS X
10.9 aka Mavericks.
I do have access to a Mac, but I'm reluctant (in fact, unable) to update to
Mavericks, therefore I'm in the dark when it comes to fixing /testing for
the errors reported in the log file. On a positive note, it appears at
first sight that most of the errors are relatively benign, and
similar-looking issues are reported for all the packages involved. That
gives me hope that once the underlying issue is well identified, most
packages can be fixed with minimal changes.

Here's the info we were given from CRAN,

"OS X 10.9 (aka Mavericks) has a new C++ compiler, clang++ with libcxx
headers/runtime.  Your package fails to compile with that compiler: see the
appropriate log at
http://www.stats.ox.ac.uk/pub/**bdr/Mavericks/<http://www.stats.ox.ac.uk/pub/bdr/Mavericks/>
 ."

My two packages are cda and planar. The error seems to occur in the Modules
definition, e.g. from this line in my code

https://github.com/baptiste/planar/blob/master/src/multilayer.cpp#L231

where "function" is judged ambiguous, as far as I understand. This
"function" is presumably something from
Rcpp/include/Rcpp/module/Module_generated_function.h
but I am not familiar with that code.

Any ideas, hints?

Best regards,

baptiste