[Rcpp-devel] Rcpp Makevars COPYING policy?

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Tue Oct 15 22:17:55 CEST 2013

Jonathan,

On 15 October 2013 at 15:27, Jonathan Olmsted wrote:
| Dirk and Romain (in the order listed in the file mentioned below),
|
| Intellectual property rights confuse the heck out of me so I wanted to ask
| explicitly before stepping on any toes. Rcpp is GPL-2. However, the Makevars in

Actually, it is "GPL (>= 2)" for every R / CRAN project I am involved with.

And as already noted in this thread, the DESCRIPTION covers the project in
question as a whole and unless otherwise specified what DESCRIPTION says hold
which implies the "GPL (>= 2)" default.

| the ./src/ directory don't necessarily carry the same license header as your
| Cpp source. What are your intentions for derivative use of the Makevars files

Those are a ten and three lines files. I don't think anybody really cares. I
wrote down names of different people who helped at some point in the past.
If you really cared, you could email everybody and ask.

| you guys use in Rcpp? Specifically, I would like to use your strategy in an R
| package to build a static lib for subsequent linking against by other R
| packages.

But why would you need the ones from Rcpp/src/Makevars* ?  They are special
because they need to create a library libRcpp.* to link against.  "Normal"
Rcpp-using packages have a much simpler src/Makevars* as eg created by
Rcpp.package.skeleton.

Hope this helps, Dirk