[Rcpp-devel] Armor, Shield and Shelter.

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Fri Oct 11 13:26:27 CEST 2013

Romain,

On 11 October 2013 at 13:03, Romain Francois wrote:
| Anyway, I'd like to propose adding Shield, Armor and Shleter to Rcpp.

Sure.

| This is a non disruptive proposal as the template classes I propose
| don't interract with the rest of the code. We might not use them in
| Rcpp, but we should. There are currently 155 calls to UNPROTECT in the
| .h and .cpp of Rcpp. That is that many macro calls we could get rid of.

(UN)PROTECT calls in code internal to Rcpp are less of a worry (at least on
the user list); another question is how often Rcpp users need to resort to
this in their code, and how often it would help?  I don't have a good idea.

And OTOH as this seems to non-disruptive and orthogonal to existing code, why
not?

And the names are very cute indeed. I'd say go for it.

Thanks,  Dirk