[Rcpp-devel] Installation tutorial for Rcpp, C++11, and 64-bit Windows

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Mon Nov 25 15:52:18 CET 2013

On 25 November 2013 at 07:50, Hadley Wickham wrote:
| It's worth noting that simply using Rstudio (which will automatically
| set up the paths for you), makes this process much simpler:
|
| 1. Install R
| 2. Install Rstudio
| 3. Install Rtools
| 4. install.packages("Rcpp")

Conditional on the user having administrator rights and running as administrator?

It also ends up installing Rcpp in the "wrong" library path. Upon the next
upgrade it'll be gone.  I find that one of the more annoying Windows issues
and tend to install packages outside the R-$version path (which I also chose
to make R-current to have a fixed path etc pp).    Also worth noting that
RStudio is indeed a huge help, there is benefit in being able to "generally"
run R.  Gabor gets that via his batch files, I get it by setting up paths
once and for all.  Which the tutorial describes well.