[Rcpp-devel] How to make an R package that uses Boost.Thread, qualified to be published on CRAN or shared by the most

Simon simonqijiezhao at gmail.com
Sat Nov 2 14:54:51 CET 2013

Hi,

Recently, I made an R package that used the C++ library Boost.Thread (http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_54_0/doc/html/thread.html) for multithreading.  Previously, I have posted a question at stackoverflow (http://stackoverflow.com/questions/19651954/is-it-possible-to-build-an-r-package-which-use-rcpp-and-boost-thread-on-http), but now my questions becomes:

1) if I want to upload my package onto CRAN, what am I supposed to do with Boost.Thread?

Or

2) I want to share my package with others, Must it be submitted to CRAN? I am not an expert, but I am trying to make my package to be used by the most, so I encounter these problem.

3) Boost is a third party library, and the separately-compiled library Boost.Thread is used by my package.  To make a package stand-alone, the best way I can imagine is to include the the library source files under my package's src directory.  What if I just publish my package, and tell users they should install Boost before their use of my package?  Initially, I just want to use what I know about to make an R package that everyone can use, however, I found that to make the most to use my package, there are a lot to consider, though under Ubuntu, that's a lot easier, an apt-get command will install the Boost.  The question on
stackoverflow (http://stackoverflow.com/questions/19651954/is-it-possible-to-build-an-r-package-which-use-rcpp-and-boost-thread-on-http) is about Windows, from the answer I am not going to struggle to provide support for Windows, at least now I suppose.  Is it a common practice for the user themselves to install a third party library like Boost.Thread?

Best regards,
Simon