[Rcpp-devel] R & RcppArmadillo decomposition disagreement

Colin Rundel rundel at gmail.com
Fri May 31 08:05:45 CEST 2013

>   reference blas (packages libblas3 and liblapack)
>   atlas          (package libatlas3-base or a tuned variant)
>   open-blas      (package libopenblas-base)

I had been playing around with update-alternatives to swap between the three, but just in case this was causing issues I've used apt to purge all three and do a clean install for each one.

However, the end result is the same for all three circumstances - both of the arma chol calls fail but the R chol works and none of the eigen results match. Additionally, I am regularly seeing circumstances where one of the arma eigen calls runs, I can see activity across all 4 cores when using openblas or atlas, and then a hang where one core stays pegged at 100% but nothing appears to happen until I kill the process.

I am still at a loss as to why R is working fine while the arma calls fail.

-Colin.