[Rcpp-devel] Use a compiled .so file that uses RcppArmadillo

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Thu May 23 21:00:16 CEST 2013

On 23 May 2013 at 11:33, Xiao He wrote:
| Dear listers,
|
| To compile a C++ code that makes use of RcppArmadillo, one needs to have
| Fortran installed on the computer. After compiling the code, if I would like to
| use the compiled code on a computer that doesn't have Fortran, does it mean I
| will also need to install it on that computer?

Rcpp(Armadillo) behaves like any other R package.

You can redistribute it in source (as we usually do), or in binary (as is
common for Windows as AFAIK also for OS X).  You could also create binaries
for, say, Linux which may work on identical machines (but doing so is
"unusual").

The safest bet is most often installation from source.

Start with "R CMD INSTALL --help" and the "Writing R Extensions" manual. If
you have follow-up questions, try the r-devel list or other venues as there
really is not anything particular about Rcpp here (apart from how packages
using Rcpp need to link to Rcpp, but that is documented too in the
Rcpp-package vignette and other places).