[Rcpp-devel] problems with rInside in Ubuntu

Walter Mascarenhas walter.mascarenhas at gmail.com
Sat Mar 30 23:50:31 CET 2013

Dirk,

  The difficulties I had were indeed self inflicted, due to the
same kind of distraction that lead me to click "reply" instead
of "replay to all" a couple of times. They should not affect
other people because they are a combination of the
leftover from the use of an old version of RInside (dowloaded
by apt-get) and a new version from your site. Therefore,
there is no point in explaining in detail what combination
of silly mistakes caused me trouble, since is unlikely
that other people will go through the same process.

  I would not classify this as "genuine difficulties with email",
in the same way that I would not classify my silly mistakes
with the installation of a software I was trying for the first time
as "do not knowing what I was doing", as one could read from
your reply

"unless you know what you are doing. Which, seemingly,
you don't."

I wonder how many people in this list did not click "reply"
instead of "reply to all" by mistake a few times or did
something silly while installing Rcpp, RInside or
similar software.

  As I said to Paul, I did apologize to you. As for my
problems regarding the use of Rcpp/RInside with Qt 5,
I did not write the answer before because when I was about
to do it my wife and my kid took me off from the computer
for a quite pleasant afternoon.

  I do regret telling you that I would volunteer to help
you with Rcpp if you would find something in which
I could work. As I told you in private, I now see that
this arrangement will not work out, and I am sad
about the way things turned out.

walter.