[Rcpp-devel] Invoking class methods via XPtr<> objects in R

Suresh Easwar seaswar at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 14 02:27:57 CET 2013

All I want to do is obtain a shared-pointer equivalent in R to a C++ object and be able to do two things with it - 1. Invoke methods of the object via the shared-pointer and 2. pass the shared-pointer to the methods of other C++ class objects.

In Python, I am able to do this like so (Boost shared-ptrs are easily passed back and forth across the Python-C++ boundary using Boost-Python):
>>> aptr = mytest.get_aptr() # obtain a shared-pointer to an instance of class A
>>> aptr.f() # invoke method f() of class A via the pointer
>>> b = mytest.B(aptr) # construct object of class B invoking constructor that accepts a shared-pointer to object of class A.

I am looking for the equivalent in R (or at least a close enough idiom).

Thanks
suresh