[Rcpp-devel] macros RCPP_FUNCTION_...,

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Wed Jun 19 16:14:00 CEST 2013

On 19 June 2013 at 08:50, Hadley Wickham wrote:
| It's also not like it's impossible to get old versions from Rcpp for
| CRAN, so if someone's code does break they do already have recourse.

Correct. That is the ultimate defense with Open Source.

Breaking an API is extremely poor style and annoying as hell to everybody.
We all agree on that -- and what Romain proposed (ie removing unused cruft)
is generally a good rather than thing. But one has to be extra careful to not
accidentally create the former too.

The burden only grows with the number of users, and some users do have long
and slow upgrade cycles.  Ie we just learned about a commercial entities
being forced to use R 2.12.0. They are of course safe from all that because
they been excluded from any modern Rcpp for years already :)