[Rcpp-devel] Compilation without libR.so ?

Martin Jakt mjakt at z2.keio.jp
Fri Jun 14 10:40:25 CEST 2013

Hi Romain (?),

thanks for your quick reply,

> Why do you want that. R CMD essentially takes care all of the details,
> cooks a Makefile, runs it ... transparently. It never needs to be a
> concern.
> You can gain some control by using the Makevars, etc ...

I might be doing it wrong, but I'm using:

R CMD check pkgName

which has two inconveniences:

1. It's slow
2. The compilation output gets put into a log file.

This is mostly a pain when removing all sorts of typos and stupid mistakes. I
also use colorgcc to colour output which makes things much easier to read.

I did look for a R CMD COMPILE, R CMD make

(eg. R CMD make -f Makevars), but got, 'Nothing to be done'.

I presume there's a better way, but for just making sure that the code
compiles I've not found anything better.

> I have a plan for a documentation website. but it is not ready.
> Coming close is Dirk's doxygen digested documentation:
> http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com/code/rcpp/html/index.html
>
> This might help you, it might not. It is a matter of taste. For
> example, I don't like it so much.

Wonderful. It seems to be pretty much what I'm looking for. Could perhaps do
with a little more textual description, but it is at least a good place to
start. Look forward to seeing your website as well..

> > Not really an ideal situation. For example, looking at the
> > GenericVector class, I was surprised to find push_front suggesting
> > that it
> > doesn't quite mimic the STL vector class, which I believe guarantees
> > that the
> > memory is allocated in a contiguous block (possible to combine with
> > push_front
> > and push_back, but with some difficulty).
>
> Those are somehow cosmetic additions. The usual suggestion is not to
> use push_front and push_back on Rcpp types.
>
> We use R's memory, and in R, resizing a vector means moving the data.
> So if you push_back 3 times, you're moving the data 3 times.
>
> Using R own memory is the best ever decision we made in Rcpp. You can
> always use your own data structures to accumulate data, perhaps using
> stl types and then convert back to R types, which is something we make
> easy to do.

that's pretty much what I'm doing; though it's rather tempting to use R Matrix
slicing commands.

thanks!

Martin