[Rcpp-devel] Unable to load shared object

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Thu Jul 11 09:52:40 CEST 2013

Jules,

On 10 July 2013 at 11:18, Jules Archer wrote:
| Dirk,
|
| Thank you for your fast reply!
|
| With regard to your specific suggestions:
|
| |Two suggestions.  First, try creating a simple package without MathGL just to
| |make sure you have that process of going from sourceCpp via compileAttributes
| |to a package licked.
|
| Yes, I did successfully create a simple package (using RStudio) as a "warm-up"
| exercise (I created a package for the
| classic gibbs.cpp function). I can load the package, and use the gibbs function
| as expected.

Ok.

| |Second, and as an alternative, try it the other way
| |without attributes.  There are a number of simple package that link to
| |external libraries; you could pick any as an example.
|
| I'm not quite sure what you mean by this one. Could you please give me a brief
| description/procedure as to how to do this? (I'm still a bit of
| a newbie with Rcpp...)

Create a package the 'old fashioned and standard way' ie not via sourceCpp()
/ compileAttributes() but via Rcpp.package.skeleton(), say.

| |The linmk error rings a faint bell, but I cannot quite connect the dots. You
| |don't by chance have two version of Rcpp installed -- in /usr/local and below
| |/home/hp, say?
|
| No, I don't have two versions installed. Just to be sure, I removed what I had
| and re-installed (actually upgraded to 0.10.4). Same issue...
|

| After going some googling on this, the consensus seems to be that there's
| something awry with ldconfig or LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variable setting.

You will need to provide a complete reproducible example as our mind-reading
machine is in the shop.  Seriously, we do not know exactly what you did so it
is a trfile hard to help here.

Cheers, Dirk

| Thanks!
|
| -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
| From: Dirk Eddelbuettel <edd at debian.org>

| |
| | I've been trying to integrate the mathGL plotting library into R with Rcpp,
| | with the ultimate goal of rendering in the browser.  So far, I've been
| | successful with creating simple plotting test functions, compile with
| sourceCpp
| | ("myplotter.cpp") and output *.png and *.json files for browser 3D plotting.
|
| Cool.
|
| | However, when I try to compile as an R package, I keep getting the following
| | error:
| |
| | ** building package indices
| | ** testing if installed package can be loaded
| | Error in dyn.load(file, DLLpath = DLLpath, ...) :
| |  unable to load shared object '/usr/local/lib/R/site-library/mathGL/libs/
| | mathGL.so':
| |  /usr/local/lib/R/site-library/mathGL/libs/mathGL.so: undefined symbol:
| | _ZTIN4Rcpp14not_compatibleE
| | Error: loading failed
| | Execution halted
| | ERROR: loading failed
| |
| | The mathGL.so library was created and exists. For reference, I'm using the
| | following flags in the Makevars file:
| |
| | PKG_CXXFLAGS=-"I/home/hp/Downloads/mathgl-2.1/include/mgl2" -lmgl
| | PKG_LIBS=-L/usr/local/lib/
| |
| | Any ideas or thoughts as to what the "undefined symbol" error means and how
| | resolve this would be greatly appreciated.
|
| Two suggestions.  First, try creating a simple package without MathGL just to
| make sure you have that process of going from sourceCpp via compileAttributes
| to a package licked.  Second, and as an alternative, try it the other way
| without attributes.  There are a number of simple package that link to
| external libraries; you could pick any as an example.
|
| The linmk error rings a faint bell, but I cannot quite connect the dots. You
| don't by chance have two version of Rcpp installed -- in /usr/local and below
| /home/hp, say?
|
| Dirk
|
| | Thanks!
| |