[Rcpp-devel] Integrate xts_API for C with Rcpp

Gabor Grothendieck ggrothendieck at gmail.com
Fri Jan 11 17:11:50 CET 2013

On Fri, Jan 11, 2013 at 10:36 AM, Dirk Eddelbuettel <edd at debian.org> wrote:

> Howdy,
>
> Thanks for bringing questions to the list, much appreciated!
>
> On 11 January 2013 at 23:10, Wu Wush wrote:
> | Dear Dirk,
> |
> | I have seen your post in http://stackoverflow.com/questions/14274055/
> | how-to-use-c-api-of-xts-package-in-rcpp .
> |
> | What should we do to generalize the include flag settings?
>
> It's pretty early still here in Chicago and I'm at work so that has not seen
> full attention -- but I already pestered Jeff over IM on this.  I may just
> create a little RcppXts package that provides the inline plugin so that just
> via sourceCpp() becomes a breeze too.  Give me a few days.
>
> What we really need then is to lean on Jeff to export more of an API. And
> that is a bit of an issue as code is moving from xts to zoo etc pp at a
> glacial pace.  Gabor, Achim and he have been at this for years now.
>
> Not all wheels turn at Rcpp speed ;-)   [ That is *sure* to get Jeff's blood
> boiling to make maybe we will get an API ;-) ]
>
> Exactly what type of access / use did you have in mind from C / C++?

Just to be fair it should be pointed out that C/C++ is not the only
priority of the project.  Also there have been more user contributions
to the zoo project recently with Trevor Davis' ggplot2 interface to
zoo -- subsequently further enhanced by Achim and I.  This was an
important milestone achieved just a month ago as zoo finally has
interfaces to all three graphics systems (classic, lattice, ggplot2).
Additional contributions and unreleased code exist as well so
improvements continue..