[Rcpp-devel] reference classes in C++ :is it possible?

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Thu Feb 28 14:15:43 CET 2013

On 28 February 2013 at 04:44, Steven Varga wrote:
| I am trying to create an abstract pattern using R reference objects in C++;
| anyone knows if this is possible/not possible? Where to look?

I am not sure you can. The best (only ?) relevant documentation might be John
Chamber's example of 'Rcpp Classes' (see help(setRcppClass) in R once Rcpp is
loaded).

And as I recall, he is pretty explicit that you can take a C++ class and
"extend" it for prototyping from the R side, but that you cannot access those
extended parts from C++ as only R sees it.  I think you are hitting a similar
constraint here.

It would be nice if this worked but I am not quite sure that it can.