[Rcpp-devel] questions about Rcpp

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Mon Feb 25 19:38:50 CET 2013

Hi Yuanchao,

On 25 February 2013 at 11:47, Yuanchao BO wrote:
| I have some questions about Rcpp. I have a complicated R code.

Rcpp does not change or simplify your R code.  If anything it may make it
more complicated as you now have R and C++.

But it may also make it a lot faster, or allow you to do things you cannot
otherwise do.

| Can I run the code in C++ by using Rcpp?

Rcpp allows you to access C++ code from R in ways that are easier (we think)
than the default. It does not create code.

| Do I need to write extra codes to integrate R into C++?

It depends. You sometimes need a little bit glue (but generally less than you
would with C) and in many situations even the glue gets written.

| I read some of the Rcpp tutorials and I am under an impression that most of the
| Rcpp code is C++ code. I still feel intimidated by the complexity of Rcpp.

Yes, there is certainly no Rcpp without C++. It does not make C++ go away, it
does try to make it easier to combine R with C++.

Maybe have a look at the Rcpp-introduction vignette as well as at the Rcpp
Gallery at http://gallery.rcpp.org .

Hope this helps,  Dirk