[Rcpp-devel] Rcpp / g++ ignoring TMPDIR

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Mon Dec 2 13:25:48 CET 2013

On 1 December 2013 at 22:38, Jeroen Ooms wrote:
| On Sun, Dec 1, 2013 at 6:33 PM, Dirk Eddelbuettel <edd at debian.org> wrote:
|

|     I don't think this is us, and I don't think something changed. See below.
|

|  I'll ask on r-devel if anyone is aware of install.packages unsetting TMPDIR
| when calling g++.
|

|     I think I'd start by setting TMPDIR. But here (in a virtual machine) I
|     can't
|     even make g++ fail:
|

| Well actually the problem does not appear until the shared library is created.
| See e.g: http://public.opencpu.org/ocpu/cran/RcppExamples

That is a nice concise log.  The fact that seven 'g++ -c' calls for
compilation seem work yet the the next call to 'g++ -shared ...' for linking
fails makes it seem like an internal compiler error.  g++ is a frontend to ld
et al at that point. And 'man ld' does not mention TMPDIR ...  On the other
hand the error message is still from the compile step.

Are you running with MAKE=make -j8 by chance?

As I said when we hashed this out some more in private mail, I'd try setting
TMPDIR in /etc/profile or alike. Or just try to have a working /tmp directory.
Surely you are not the only AppArmor user with that issue?