[Rcpp-devel] How to modifying the elements of a list in the global environment?

Davor Cubranic cubranic at stat.ubc.ca
Fri Oct 19 05:02:44 CEST 2012

Giovanni,

Anything you pass from R into your C++ routine should be considered
read-only. It's typically a bad idea to do in-place updates of the R
object you passed in as an argument.

In addition, I doubt that the code you wrote (addition/subtraction of
matrix columns) is going to be that much faster in C++ over R simply
because R already does those operations with optimized C-level code.
Maybe not as you wrote it, but you can use available R's functionality a
lot more effectively with something like this:

   sweep(array(x, dim=c(N, M, K)), 2:3, mu)

This should do exactly what you're trying to do with your C++ function,
except storing it as a 3D array instead of a list of 2D matrices. (It's
more efficient and works better with everything else in R.)

If it's the large number of iterations in your Gibbs sampler that you're
worried about, then write the entire algorithm in C++ and return the
final result.

Davor