[Rcpp-devel] Help needed for clang++ testing on OS X and Linux

Mon Oct 8 05:27:55 CEST 2012

Hi Dirk,

Running OSX.8.2, R 2.15.1 (x86_64)

$ clang++ --version
Apple clang version 4.0 (tags/Apple/clang-421.0.60) (based on LLVM 3.1svn)
Target: x86_64-apple-darwin12.2.0
Thread model: posix

I rigged up ~/.R/Makevars to set clang++ to be the compiler and Rcpp
v0.9.14.2 installed fine -- for some reason it failed on the i386
architecture, but built find on x86_64, but I don't pay attention to
i386 much these days, so perhaps it's something wonky on my end.

I also ran the unit tests. While they were running, I saw some
"error"s fly by, but perhaps these were expected errors, because:

$ head Rcpp-unitTests.txt

RUNIT TEST PROTOCOL -- Sun Oct  7 23:21:11 2012
Number of test functions: 279
Number of errors: 0
Number of failures: 0

1 Test Suite :
Rcpp unit testing - 279 test functions, 0 errors, 0 failures

HTH,
-steve

On Sat, Oct 6, 2012 at 2:14 PM, Dirk Eddelbuettel <edd at debian.org> wrote:

> There is an embarassing story here in how I made myself a bit of a laughing
> stock by supporting clang++ (around 2.*), updating for 3.0 (and breaking for
> 3.1), adjusting for 3.1 (and thereby breaking 3.0) ... all over the last few
> releases.
>
> Luckily Martin Morgan, who had reported that recent "you broke it on 3.0" to
> me, offered some adult supervision andm, better still, an excellent fix.
> Instead of guestimating by clang / llvm version, and then (poorly) inferring
> what g++ (!!) version we may face to supply the header, we now check directly
> for the header file in question -- much better.
>
> That was added in a test release Rcpp 0.9.14.1, which you can find (along
> with 0.9.14.2 which also has the Date/Datetime fixes from this morning) at
>
>      http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com/code/rcpp/
>
> As the saying goes, "it works for me" on Ubuntu with clang++ 3.0 as in Ubuntu 12.04.
>
> But we need to hear from OS X users with different clang++ versions, and
> possibly clang++ users on other Linux setups --- particularly with clang++
> 2.* and 3.1.
>
> The test is easy: just do 'R CMD INSTALL Rcpp_0.9.14.2.tar.gz' and it will
> either build and exceptions.cpp finds its headers, or not.  I would
> appreciate tests and reports back here greatly ... and I don't really want to
> mess with five more uploads.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Dirk
>
> --