[Rcpp-devel] A beginners guide to Rcpp

Gabor Grothendieck ggrothendieck at gmail.com
Fri Nov 30 13:57:34 CET 2012

On Fri, Nov 30, 2012 at 1:34 AM, Walter Mascarenhas
<walter.mascarenhas at gmail.com> wrote:
> listening to criticism is a good way to keep a balanced view of things.

Just to be clear I don't regard my comments as criticism of Rcpp. I
was commenting on the document for which comments had been solicited.
Rcpp is much more general than .C and is a completely different thing.
 Its really an amazing effort. I was only reacting to the statement
that the alternative to it is painful and just wanted to point out
that this was blurring the distinction between .C and actually having
to wrestle with SEXPs.   If the alternative is to work with SEXPs
directly then the alternative certainly is painful but if the
alternative is to use .C (and that may not be a feasible alternative
in some or many cases due to its restricted applicability) its not
painful at all.