[Rcpp-devel] Missing values

Romain Francois romain at r-enthusiasts.com
Fri Nov 16 09:25:52 CET 2012

Thanks for exploring these issue. This looks very useful.

I get:

 > str( first_log(NA) )
  logi TRUE
 > str( first_int(NA_integer_) )
  int NA
 > str( first_num(NA_real_) )
  num NA
 > str( first_char(NA_character_) )
  chr "NA"

For first_log: a bool can either be true or false. In R logical vectors
are represented as arrays of ints. When we coerce to bool, we test
whether the value is not 0. This works for most cases. I guess
conversion to bool should be avoided.

We have the is_na template function that can help:

 > evalCpp( 'traits::is_na<LGLSXP>( NA_LOGICAL )' )
[1] TRUE
 > evalCpp( 'traits::is_na<REALSXP>( NA_REAL )' )
[1] TRUE

And from this I can see we don't have is_na<STRSXP>, will fix this.

 > str( evalCpp( 'traits::get_na<REALSXP>()' ) )
  num NA
 > str( evalCpp( 'traits::get_na<INTSXP>()' ) )
  int NA

I guess we could come up with a nicer syntax for these, maybe static
functions in Vector<> so that we could do :

IntegerVector::is_na( )
NumericVector::get_na( )

More below:

Le 15/11/12 23:36, Hadley Wickham a écrit :
> Hi all,
>
> I'm working on a description of how missing values work in Rcpp
> (expanding on FAQ 3.4).  I'd really appreciate any comments,
> corrections or suggestions on the text below.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Hadley
>

> # Missing values
>
> If you're working with missing values, you need to know two things:
>
> * what happens when you put missing values in scalars (e.g. `double`)
> * how to get and set missing values in vectors (e.g. `NumericVector`)
>
> ## Scalars
>
> The following code explores what happens when you coerce the first
> element of a vector into the corresponding scalar:
>
>      cppFunction('int first_int(IntegerVector x) {
>        return(x[0]);
>      }')
>      cppFunction('double first_num(NumericVector x) {
>        return(x[0]);
>      }')
>      cppFunction('std::string first_char(CharacterVector x) {
>        return((std::string) x[0]);
>      }')
>      cppFunction('bool first_log(LogicalVector x) {
>        return(x[0]);
>      }')
>
>      first_log(NA)
>      first_int(NA_integer_)
>      first_num(NA_real_)
>      first_char(NA_character_)
>
> So
>
> * `NumericVector` -> `double`: NAN
>
> * `IntegerVector` -> `int`: NAN (not sure how this works given that
> integer types don't usually have a missing value)

 > str( evalCpp( 'std::numeric_limits<int>::min()' ) )
  int NA

This is how NA_integer_ is represented.

> * `CharacterVector` -> `std::string`: the string "NA"

Ouch. We definitely need to fix this. Will do.

> * `LogicalVector` -> `bool`: TRUE
>
> If you're working with doubles, depending on your problem, you may be
> able to get away with ignoring missing values and working with NaNs.
> R's missing values are a special type of the IEEE 754 floating point
> number NaN (not a number). That means if you coerce them to `double`
> or `int` in your C++ code, they will behave like regular NaN's.
>
> In a logical context they always evaluate to FALSE:
>
>      evalCpp("NAN == 1")
>      evalCpp("NAN < 1")
>      evalCpp("NAN > 1")
>      evalCpp("NAN == NAN")
>
> But be careful when combining then with boolean values:
>
>      evalCpp("NAN && TRUE")
>      evalCpp("NAN || FALSE")
>
> In numeric contexts, they propagate similarly to NA in R:
>
>      evalCpp("NAN + 1")
>      evalCpp("NAN - 1")
>      evalCpp("NAN / 1")
>      evalCpp("NAN * 1")

That's very useful to let people know of these issues.

> ## Vectors
>
> To set a missing value in a vector, you need to use a missing value
> specific to the type of vector. Unfortunately these are not named
> terribly consistently:
>
>      cppFunction('
>        List missing_sampler() {
>
>          NumericVector num(1);
>          num[0] = NA_REAL;
>
>          IntegerVector intv(1);
>          intv[0] = NA_INTEGER;
>
>          LogicalVector lgl(1);
>          lgl[0] = NA_LOGICAL;
>
>          CharacterVector chr(1);
>          chr[0] = NA_STRING;
>
>          List out(4);
>          out[0] = num;
>          out[1] = intv;
>          out[2] = lgl;
>          out[3] = chr;
>          return(out);
>        }
>      ')
>      str(missing_sampler())
>
> To check if a value in a vector is missing, use `ISNA`:
>
>      cppFunction('
>        LogicalVector is_na2(NumericVector x) {
>          LogicalVector out(x.size());
>
>          NumericVector::iterator x_it;
>          LogicalVector::iterator out_it;
>          for (x_it = x.begin(), out_it = out.begin(); x_it != x.end();
> x_it++, out_it++) {
>            *out_it = ISNA(*x_it);
>          }
>          return(out);
>        }
>      ')
>      is_na2(c(NA, 5.4, 3.2, NA))
>
> Rcpp provides a helper function called `is_na` that works similarly to
> `is_na2` above, producing a logical vector that's true where the value
> in the vector was missing.

As said above, I'll add

...Vector::is_na
...Vector::get_na

to have something more consistent and not as cryptic as
traits::is_na<...>( ). People should not need to know what REALSXP,
INTSXP, LGLSXP, ... mean.

--
Romain Francois
Professional R Enthusiast