[Rcpp-devel] Rcpp 0.10

Ramon Diaz-Uriarte rdiaz02 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 15 20:04:33 CET 2012

Dear Dirk, Romain, and JJ,

Version 0.10 is really amazing. In particular, the Rcpp Attributes are
awesome, as well as some of the additions to sugar!!

If I may, I'd like to make a suggestion and a question about the
documentation for Rcpp Attributes.

1. Suggestion: it might be appropriate to say (probably before 5.1) that
Makevars, etc, are still needed. And, thus, point the reader to
vignette("Rcpp-package").

Otherwise it is easy (or it was easy for me) to think that the former
mechanism was somehow superseded or included (though, of course, it does
not say so anywhere).

2. Question: I find it much harder to follow what is happening in the .h
and RCppExports.R files with compileAttributes.

I mean, the .h and *.R files generated with Rcpp.package.skeleton seem to
have a simple structure that I find easy to replicate and modify as I keep
adding stuff to my *.cpp file.  (For instance, the placement of RccpExport
before functions intended to be exported, the usage of SEXP,
etc). However, I do not clearly see how to go around the files generated
by compileAttributes and how to mix that with .R and *.h files previously
generated with Rcpp.package.skeleton. Any hints that can be provided here?

Thanks again for the package and the new additions to it.

Best,

R.

--
Ramon Diaz-Uriarte