[Rcpp-devel] Eigen vs Arma -- was: Re: Ceres nonlinear least squares solver

Michael Hannon jm_hannon at yahoo.com
Mon May 7 07:05:06 CEST 2012

>On Sat, May 5, 2012 at 1:21 PM, Dirk Eddelbuettel <edd at debian.org> wrote:
>[snip]
>> At the end of day, and to me as a non-user of OS X, this just seems to make
>> working on OS X as tedious as working on Windows where you have to patch
>> your
>> system together in bits and bobs.  I guess I am spoiled rotten by 15+ years
>> of dpkg and apt-get and "things just working". Nicer for development in my
>> book.
>
>Can't argue w/ the fact that this makes developing on OSX a bit of a
>PITA ... it's just that working w/ the rest of OSX is so nice ;-)

This may alleviate some of the PITA:

    http://mxcl.github.com/homebrew/

(I haven't used it.)

I *am* curious to know what is so nice about Mac OS X.  This isn't a troll.  I
can see that Macs are useful if you have to deal with, say, Adobe products,
etc.  But I've never been able to fathom their appeal for work in math,
statistics, science, etc.  (My wife has multiple Macs, and she loves the
things, even for her statistics research, but I don't seem to "get it".)

-- Mike