[Rcpp-devel] Eigen vs Arma -- was: Re: Ceres nonlinear least squares solver

Sat May 5 18:41:38 CEST 2012

Hi,

Swooping in from left field, I just thought I'd comment on the OSX:

On Sat, May 5, 2012 at 12:28 PM, Douglas Bates <bates at stat.wisc.edu> wrote:
> We will release the Eigen-based lme4 rewrite and if there is no binary
> package for OS X I plan on pointing at Simon and Brian regarding the
> Mac OS X binary package creation.  You can build the package for i386
> OS X even with the old, buggy version of gcc shipped with XCode.  The
> compiler error reported for the binary package of RcppEigen comes from
> trying to cross-compile C++ code on a i386 Mac for ppc Macs.  There
> are many options for avoiding the problem but I haven't been able to
> interest those involved in creating OS X packages to look at it.

If you browse the eigen forums, you'll find that the eigen folks
suggest osx users upgrade their gcc ... it seems that they're not
interesting in supporting the outdated gcc on osx by default. Here's
one ref:

http://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=74&t=97107&p=204637&hilit=bickson#p204637

I'm not begrudging anyone for not wanting to support an old gcc or
anything ... just pointing out that it seems that the eigen folks are
aware that there are problems w/ it on osx, and don't much care about
that fact.

All that having been said, I've actually never had a problem compiling
RcppEigen on osx (not that I actually use it -- but it compiles --
just tried it now)

--
Steve Lianoglou