[Rcpp-devel] devtools load_all() and modules

Hadley Wickham hadley at rice.edu
Mon Mar 26 21:03:54 CEST 2012

> Plus I call 'g++' et al as 'ccache g++' so it's all cached in case of no
> changes, thanks to the amazing compiler caching package ccache (which is
> pretty standard on Linux).

Never heard of that before - thanks!

> And you can tell R CMD INSTALL to skip steps like vignettes, tests, cleanup,
> ... to just load the R and C++ code.

Do you have a standard set of flags you use: --no-docs --no-html
--no-multiarch?  I'll probably make a quick_install function for
devtools.  (Or maybe I'll name it quickInstall in your honour ;)

> | problems caused by build artefacts left by previous runs, but that's
> | probably worth it for the speed (and you know much more about the
> | tradeoffs here than I do).
>
> Dunno. I just /like/ to know I work with real fresh R sessions without
> side-effects from anything lingering --- with the whole .onLoad, .onAttach,
> import from Namespace, ... soup lingering, this gives me some clarity.

Yes, me too.  It's getting the balance between speed and cleanness
right that's hard.

Hadley

http://had.co.nz/