[Rcpp-devel] replacing a splines ns() call with other Rcpp attached library function

Douglas Bates bates at stat.wisc.edu
Thu Jun 28 15:33:35 CEST 2012

On Thu, Jun 28, 2012 at 8:08 AM, Silkworth,David J.
<SILKWODJ at airproducts.com> wrote:
> Folks, I am bravely helping Gianluca Bonitta (a.k.a. bbonit at tin.it) develop
> an Rcpp solution for his thesis, he already has a functioning R prototype.

> He has been using ns() from the splines library (thank-you Doug Bates!), and
> we are interested in identifying an alternative call to one of the libraries
> that are already available to Rcpp. GSL seemed most likely to me, but this
> topic is a bit over my head, so I would appreciate some guidance.

Actually, I didn't write ns().  I only wrote the B-spline basis
functions and evaluations.  There is C source code in
$RSRC/library/splines/src/splines.c although it is not terribly easy
to understand - I was in a "terser is better" phase when that was
written.

You may find it easier to interface to some of the more recent C++
libraries (e.g. libnurbs.sourceforge.net) for the evaluation.