[Rcpp-devel] multidimensional arrays

Fri Jun 15 15:46:37 CEST 2012

Hi Frederico,

Just a quick note: don't forget to punch "reply all" when replying to
emails from the list so that more people can help you and that the
list can be used as a resource for others.

On Fri, Jun 15, 2012 at 9:34 AM, Frederico Mestre
<mestre.frederico at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm sorry if I wasn't clear enough. I´m really used to work in R but I'm
> getting really confused with C++. I know that my questions were a little
> vague. I was thinking about using Rcpp and inline in order to be, as much as
> possible, working in R, were I'm comfortable.
>
> As an input to my function I would have the mean area of habitat patch, its
> standard deviation (in order to have patches of several sizes), the mean
> distance between patches and its standard deviation. Also, the dispersal
> ability of my species.
>
> Then the simulated landscape would be allowed to change (increase or
> decrease each of the parameters). Which would represent the evolution
> through time.
>
> The output I intend is to be able to evaluate how the mean extinction
> probability and colonization probability changes with these changing
> parameters.
>
> Another output is the average speed of progression of a species throughout
> the simulations. This would allow me to say, given some parameters of the
> landscape, at what average speed would the species spread in the landscape
> (p. ex. in km/year).
>
> Then all this would have to be repeated x times using some sort of loop. I
> don't need to retain the "landscapes" only the mean values of each of the
> outputs.

What you are proposing to do sounds perfectly reasonable and doable --
I strongly suspect all of it doesn't have to be done in C++, though.
If you have all of this already whipped up in R, there are ways to
find the "pain points" and just convert those small portions to C(++)
-- I suspect you probably already know where these problems are.

Still, the point I was trying to make in my follow up emails is that
there isn't much anybody can do here to help you -- no one will
provide the code to do exactly what you want.

Most of us will have no idea of the details of the simulation you are
trying to run, etc. You know what I mean? It's not clear what you are
expecting from the people on this list.

As you are converting some of your code from R to C(++) and you are
finding difficulty with some Rcpp specific issue that is still foggy
after reading the "Writing extensions in R"  document (this is from
"base" R) as well as relevant Rcpp docs (and its article in JSS), then
please come back and ask a more specific question that involves a more
specific problem description and the code that you're trying (both the
R and C++) ... preferably pointing to the specific line(s) that are
giving you trouble.

*Then* we can help ...

-steve