[Rcpp-devel] Differences between RcppEigen and RcppArmadillo

Douglas Bates bates at stat.wisc.edu
Thu Jun 14 15:01:25 CEST 2012

On Wed, Jun 13, 2012 at 6:53 PM, Julian Smith <hilbertspaces at gmail.com> wrote:
> Doesn't svd in R by default compute D, U and V?

> http://stat.ethz.ch/R-manual/R-patched/library/base/html/svd.html

You're right but the default is the 'thin' U when X is n by p and n >=
p.  Does the svd in Armadillo return the full n by n matrix U?

Another thing to check is what underlying Lapack routine is called.
There are two: dgesvd, which is the older algorithm and the one with
the expected name if you know the Lapack conventions, and dgesdd which
is a newer and faster algorithm.  R uses dgesdd.