[Rcpp-devel] Compilation and Build Error with R CMD SHLIB and R CMD check

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Fri Jan 20 22:15:24 CET 2012

On 20 January 2012 at 15:57, Jared Lander wrote:
| Replies are inline.

Likewise but I'll chop some dead wood too.

| On Thu, Jan 19, 2012 at 2:31 PM, Dirk Eddelbuettel <edd at debian.org> wrote:
|
|     Lastly, the very question 'how do I use "R CMD SHLIB"' has its own entry in
|     the Rcpp-FAQ vignette.
|
| I get that package skeleton is meant for R CMD INSTALL.  But while testing
| individual files I use R CMD SHLIB, which depending on the directory I am
| calling it from sometimes works and sometimes doesn't.  And this isn't a path
| issue as I the problem occurs based on how deep in subdirectories I go.

Ok. It simply is harder because of the need for the env vars.

|     | "The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect."
|
|     Never seen this "The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is
|     incorrect."
|     Where does it come from?
|
|  No clue where that is coming from.  That's the error given when trying to
| run R CMD SHLIB.

Odd. I have seen (and suppressed) the recent Cygwin noise.

I wonder if there is something in your path that messes this up.  Recall the
dire warning in the R-windows FAQ to make sure that Rtools et al come first.

|     The linker tells you it doesn't find the Rcpp library.
|
| What could be causing that?  I did export PKG_LIBS=`Rscript -e
| "RCPP:::LdFlags()"` and export PKG_CXXFLAGS=`Rscript -e "Rcpp:::CxxFlags()"`.

Not sure. "Works for me and other" as they say.

| I will try again with another package and try on a Mac I have to see if that
| helps me out.

Sounds good.  In general, this works.  Windows is by far the most tedious
platform but it should work even here.

dark to read." -- Groucho Marx