[Rcpp-devel] Problems running RInside 0.2.5 on Windows with R 2.14.1 and Rtools 21[45]

Diomidis Spinellis dds at aueb.gr
Mon Jan 2 18:41:58 CET 2012

On 02/01/2012 18:52, Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:
> On 2 January 2012 at 18:33, Diomidis Spinellis wrote:
> | Perhaps I should mention that the examples fail to find R.dll from the R
> | installation directory, although it is in the command path (Windows can
> | find it when I type R.dll on the cmd shell command line).
>
> That should not happen, and the R example does not matter (as R has its own
> registry).
>
> Maybe you need both bin/ and bin/x64/ (or whatever it is called) in the
> $PATH.

I did a methodical investigation on the issue.  This is what I get from
rinside_sample0 with various path configurations.

No path: Missing libgcc_s_dw2-1.dll
Add $Rtools\mingGW\bin: Missing R.dll
Add $R_HOME\bin: Missing R.dll
Add $R_HOME\bin\i386: Crash
Change i386 to X64: Application was unable to start correctly

Include both $R_HOME\bin\i386 and $R_HOME\bin\X64 in the path: Crash
Compile from source in $RSRC
Add $RSRC\bin: Missing R.dll
Append $RSRC\bin\i386: Crash

Change to a directory where the binary package DLLs were copied: Crash
Change to a directory where the compiled DLLs were copied: Crash

Use $R_HOME\bin;$R_HOME\bin\i386 path and unset R_HOME: Fatal error:
unable to open the base package