[Rcpp-devel] Problem with undefined symbols when building RcppArmadillo

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Tue Feb 28 02:40:21 CET 2012

Hi Katherine,

Thanks for posting here.

On 27 February 2012 at 17:23, Comanor, Katherine wrote:
| Hello Dirk,
|
| I went through the thread at: http://www.digipedia.pl/usenet/thread/14655/781/
| as I seem to be running into the same problem, but wasn't able to determine a
| possible solution.
|
| Basically, I'm trying to build R's RcppArmadillo, and although the build does
| succeed, it has undefined symbols in the binary library file RcppAramdillo.so
| which causes R's Forecast library, which depends on RcppArmadillo, not to build

On OS X with g++ 4.2.1, I suspect?

| as a result of these undefined symbols.  I'm trying to build Forecast 3.16
| using RcppArmadillo 0.2.34 and Rcpp 0.9.9.
|
| Here are the undefined symbols dealing with "version":
|
| nm RcppArmadillo.so| grep -i version
| 000000000001022e t _GLOBAL__I_armadillo_version
|                  U _ZN4arma12arma_version5majorE
|                  U _ZN4arma12arma_version5minorE
|                  U _ZN4arma12arma_version5patchE

It is a known issue that confused us a little--and we don;t really run this
platform--but thankfully Gershon Bialer sent us a patch. From ChangeLog:

  2011-12-29  Dirk Eddelbuettel  <edd at debian.org>

  	  * src/RcppArmadillo.cpp: Force instantiation of arma version vars
	  which helps with older OS X compiler, as suggested by Gershon Bialer

and this is now in RcppArmadillo 0.2.35.  Please try that, which itself will
need Rcpp 0.9.10.

Let us know how it goes.

Cheers, Dirk

dark to read." -- Groucho Marx