[Rcpp-devel] [Somewhat OT] New OS X compilers

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Fri Feb 17 18:04:45 CET 2012

On 17 February 2012 at 11:39, Simon Urbanek wrote:

| On Feb 17, 2012, at 10:22 AM, Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:
|

| > Via Twitter I came across this post
| >
| >    http://kennethreitz.com/xcode-gcc-and-homebrew.html
| >
| > which implies that there is now a new, official, supported gcc available for
| > OS X.  Could some Rcpp users comment on this?
| >

| This has no real meaning - it just says that you can download Xcode in parts.

Oi. My bad, and thanks for the clarification.

| In fact the most recent Xcode is a regression - up until now clang (most recent compiler available for OS X from Apple) was installed by default, but that is no longer the case.
|

| > Can we now lift the 'it has to pass g++ 4.2.1' restriction?
| >

| The above is still gcc 4.2, Apple won't move from there due to GPL-v3 tainting any more recent version of gcc. Our best hope is clang. Did you check Rcpp against clang?

I had forgotten about the GPL-v3 issue. With that Apple will never ship a new
gcc. Ding it.

I only ever tried clang/llvm very casually which resulted in me not
succeeding.  We have gotten patches based on clang/llvm before though so
other have done this.

So if someone has a 'recipe' or Makefile for clang and Rcpp, I'd be all ears.

dark to read." -- Groucho Marx