[Rcpp-devel] ZeroMQ (Was: Rcpp and CUDA)

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Thu Feb 2 18:41:01 CET 2012

On 2 February 2012 at 07:45, Peter Aberline wrote:
| My first posting to the group!

Cool :)

| >>Does anybody know where I might find an example of using CUDA with Rcpp?
|
| >>I've looked around the internet a bit (and on this list), but have yet to
| find too much.  I saw some discussion on optimizing a 2d convolution, but only
| references to the possibility of using CUDA.  I've also been using Dirk's
| OpenMP example in Rcpp/examples.
|

| The Armadillo library allows you to slot in BLAS implementations. I've been
| wondering whether it would be possible to use NVIDIA's CuBLAS library, which is
| a BLAS implementation using CUDA. Would it then be possible to use
| RcppArmadillo to move data in and out of R?

Yes it would, but it would also be a lot of work.  Recall that Conrad put a
few man years into Armadillo, and Rcpp et al weren't build overnight either.

Mark, and others, have put some thought into this but it is ongoing...

| I?ve also developed some examples of using RInside/Rcpp with ZeroMQ, which
| allows parallel distributed computation, which may interest you. I've promised
| these to Dirk. (Dirk I'll email you the code off list today).

Lots of interest in ZeroMQ. Whit (CC'ed) just submitted something for our
upcoming fourth R/Finance conference about ZeroMQ and AWS.  Bryan Lewis (also
CC'ed) also has some code for R and ZeroMQ.

Dirk

| cheers,
|
| Peter.

dark to read." -- Groucho Marx