[Rcpp-devel] Advice on installing CHOLMOD/Suitesparse

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Thu Aug 30 00:23:04 CEST 2012

On 29 August 2012 at 16:55, Douglas Bates wrote:
| I just checked the results page on
| http://cran.r-project.org/package=RcppEigen and the package doesn't
| compile solaris-sparc and solaris-ix86 with the Sun compilers (which I
| believe are very old, predating modern C++) and doesn't compile on

Well, blame Rcpp which does not build there.  Martyn P. once helped with
patches for gcc-on-solaris; nobody but the respective CRAN maintainer seems
to have access to, or care about, sun-cc-on-solaris.

Romain and I always maintained that as long as we do not have shell on such a
system, there is no hope to fix this.  In principle, we would like to support
this. More compilers is better than fewer but under the circumstances...

| r-oldrel-macosx-ix86 but that is due to a compiler error in yet
| another very old compiler.  It seems to have compiled and passed its
| checks on r-release-macosx-ix86 and I think that is now using the
| clang compiler.

And http://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/RcppEigen/index.html list a MacOS
X binary of 0.3.1 too.