[Rcpp-devel] RInside destructor not working properly?

Darren Cook darren at dcook.org
Mon Aug 27 15:26:09 CEST 2012

> I was not aware that two instances of R are active at the same time.
> It was my expectation that by instantiating the RInside class as a
> local variable, at the end of foo() the destructor R.~RInside() would
> be called and the encapsulated R instance would be terminated, before
> a new one is instantiated in bar().

That does seem reasonable :-)

> I don't think that it is proper to modify main()
> with the unit testing framework that I'm using (gtest), as the tests
> are discovered without explicitly calling them from main().

I assume there must be a "nothing we can do about" reason why RInside
works the way it does. So I wonder if you can create a global RInside
instance using a global test environment call?

http://code.google.com/p/googletest/wiki/AdvancedGuide#Global_Set-Up_and_Tear-Down

Darren