[Rcpp-devel] How to manage testing code for Rcpp based project?

Hadley Wickham hadley at rice.edu
Wed Aug 22 15:10:26 CEST 2012

> BTW, the test code in RcppArmadillo_0.3.2.4/inst/unitTests can be run
> only after RcppArmadillo is installed. For a developer, he/she does
> not always want to install the package before he/she can run the test
> case. "devtools" solves this problem for pure R package. I'm wondering
> if there is any equivalent thing for Rcpp based packages.

The development version of devtools now attempts to compile C, C++ and
fortran code in your src/ directory, and then dynamically link into
your running R session (thanks to hard work by Winston Chang).  It's
unlikely to be perfect (or to work for large, complicated projects),
but it's a step forward, and should be useful if you only have a few
c++ files.

(Note that this of course doesn't reduce the time needed to compile
the files, but it does substantially reduce the amount of time needed
to install the package)

Hadley

--
Assistant Professor