[Rcpp-devel] RInterface.h missing in the windows

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Sun Aug 12 20:31:57 CEST 2012

On 12 August 2012 at 14:19, Jian Lu wrote:
| I am using R2.15.1 installed using windows binary file and would like to
| compile some RInside examples. I have set up the compiler and linker directory
| following the previous posts. Then I used Cygwin 1.7.16 to make the

What made you think you could use Cygwin?

| Makefile.win, there is a compiling error regarding the missing RInterface.h
| file. I have tried to copy the RInterface.h file from the R distributed source
| code into the INCLUDE folder. But it seems that the header file works only
| under unix, not a fit for the windows system. Following are the compiler errors
| after replace the RInterface.h.
|
| C:/R/R2.15.1/library/RInside/lib/i386/libRInside.a(RInside.o):RInside.cpp:
| (.text+0x74): undefined reference to `__imp___iob'

[ ... many similar lines deleted ... ]

| /usr/lib/gcc/i686-pc-cygwin/4.5.3/../../../../i686-pc-cygwin/bin/ld: C:/R/
| R2.15.1/library/RInside/lib/i386/libRInside.a(RInside.o): bad reloc address 0x0
| in section `.data'collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

Obvious linking error, telling you that you are doing it wrong.

Developing with R on Windows is tedious, as you have to play by the rules:

  - install RTools, make sure PATH etc are correct

  - open a cmd.com window (or, equally, an MSys/MinGW window alloing you a
    bash shell, but be carefule about $path here too)

  - run 'make -f Makefile.win'

That works, and is supported. For everything else, you are on your own. That
includes Cygwin builds.

Dirk