[Rcpp-devel] R.e. is std::sort function broken??

Christian Gunning xian at unm.edu
Thu Sep 22 23:27:14 CEST 2011

> You know nothing about my application, size or data, or other transformation
> on the data.

Well, that's because you didn't tell me (us) anything about any of the
above.  I was simply commenting on the code that you posted, which was
all that I could see, not being a mind-reader myself.

> To make such a blind statement is ignorant and insulting.

You might note the smile at the end of my post.  My comment was
intended much more tongue-in-cheek than you seem to have taken it.

> I can assure you that using Rcpp speeds up my process by a factor of at
> least 100.  I don't know how you measure things, but in my world, that is a
> VERY appropriate use of Rcpp.

Glad to hear it.  It *is* important to understand which *particular*
tasks Rcpp excels at versus R, and this has been an ongoing topic of
conversation here on the list. With respect to the example you posted,
I stand by my comment, which does in fact illustrate this issue quite
nicely.  Welcome to the fray :)

> If you notice, I sent a redaction almost immediately after, asking everyone to ignore my previous e-mail.

Nope.  From where i'm sitting, it didn't hit the mailing-list.

Thanks to Darren and Tama for the data.reserve() pointer!
-xian

--
A man, a plan, a cat, a ham, a yak, a yam, a hat, a canal – Panama!