[Rcpp-devel] Now 38 CRAN packages using Rcpp

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Fri Sep 16 15:54:03 CEST 2011

This mornings CRAN arrival of bcp, now rewritten to use Rcpp, brings the
total of CRAN packages using Rcpp to 38.

That is a pretty stunning number given that the rewrite leading to what Rcpp
is today hadn't even started two years ago.  Thanks to everybody for the
help, suggestions, encouragements, and of course contributions and bug fixes!

My informal comparison was always to rJava, and we are closing the gap --
seven more packages to go:

R> AP <- available.packages(contrib.url("http://cran.r-project.org"))
R> do.call(sum, lapply(AP[,"Depends"], FUN=function(x) grep("rJava", x)==1))
[1] 45
R> do.call(sum, lapply(AP[,"Depends"], FUN=function(x) grep("Rcpp", x)==1))
[1] 38
R> dim(AP)
[1] 3268   13

New Rcpp master class for R and C++ integration is scheduled for
San Francisco (Oct 8), more details / reg.info available at
http://www.revolutionanalytics.com/products/training/public/rcpp-master-class.php