[Rcpp-devel] Using printf: Error in source("/tmp/printf.r") : /tmp/printf.r:8:11: unexpected input

Paul Menzel paulepanter at users.sourceforge.net
Fri Nov 18 20:32:08 CET 2011

Dear Rcpp folks,

could you please give me a hint on how to use `printf`.

        library(inline)
        inc <- "
        #include <stdio.h>
        "

        drucken <-cxxfunction(includes=inc, plugin="Rcpp", body="
          unsigned int length = 1;
          printf("%u\\n", length);

          return wrap(length);
        ")

throws the following error, when I try to source it.

        > source("/tmp/printf.r")
        Error in source("/tmp/printf.r") : /tmp/printf.r:8:11: unexpected input
        7:   unsigned int length = 1;
        8:   printf("%u\\n", length);

Removing the `printf` statement gets rid of the error. I tested the
standalone example and `gcc` does not complain.

        /* printf example */
        #include <stdio.h>

        int main()
        {
          unsigned int length = 1;
          printf("%u \n", length);

          return length;
        }

Probably my mistake is a simple one because

> source("/usr/lib/R/site-library/Rcpp/examples/RcppInline/RcppInlineWithLibsExamples.r")

works and `printf` statements are used in there. (I had to install
`libgsl0-dev` to get the headers.)

Thanks,

Paul