[Rcpp-devel] R.e. Persistent memory allocation in C++

Christian Gunning xian at unm.edu
Mon Mar 7 14:18:29 CET 2011

(i got notice of a bounce from
rcpp-devel-bounces at r-forge.wu-wien.ac.at, apologies if this posts
twice)

> I am facing the task of writing an R interface to a rather large C++
> library.

It might not hurt to provide a link to your project, if possible.
Non-trivial examples of Rcpp use should be of broad interest here.

> The library does not make use of the R API.

I don't see how that hurts.  Do you use any other (external)
libraries, or is it fully self-contained?

>The "Writing R Extensions" manual offers information about
> memory allocation in section 6.1.

Not surprisingly, the "Extensions" manual doesn't fully cover your use-case :)
The Rcpp-modules vignette might help clarify some issues r.e.
integrating C++ libraries with R. Hopefully others can comment more on
your specific memory management questions.

-christian

--
A man, a plan, a cat, a ham, a yak, a yam, a hat, a canal – Panama!