[Rcpp-devel] [Rd] Error using RcppGSL

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Wed Jun 22 16:30:21 CEST 2011

(Now really dropping r-devel as I promised to last time.)

On 22 June 2011 at 08:02, Øyvind Foshaug wrote:
| Hi,
| It is on windows XP. I did not install GSL yet, which version should I install
| from http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/packages/gsl.htm? I want to use RcppGSL
| via the inline package.

It all depends on how 'fluent' you are with compilers, source code,
... etc. If this is a first, expect an uphill battle.

You need the Rtools as well.  There is nothing Rcpp-specific in your
question. Once you understand everything you need to satisfy the stated
SystemRequirements of the RcppGSL package:

   SystemRequirements: GNU GSL

then the RcppGSL will 'just work' --- look at src/Makevars.win in RcpGSL:

  ## This assumes that the LIB_GSL variable points to working GSL libraries
  PKG_CPPFLAGS=-I$(LIB_GSL)/include -I../inst/include
  PKG_LIBS=-L$(LIB_GSL)/lib -lgsl -lgslcblas $(shell "${R_HOME}/bin${R_ARCH_BIN}/Rscript.exe" -e "Rcpp:::LdFlags()")

On Windows, you "only" need to set the variable LIB_GSL accordingly.

Until you know how to do this there is nothing that this list can help you
with as other venues (r-help, maybe?; as well as possible GSL lists or
forums) are more appropriate for your first steps with GSL on Win XP.

Sorry, but Windows is actually not that "developer-friendly".

Dirk