[Rcpp-devel] RcppArmadillo inv() depends on Lapack, zgetri_ not available on CRAN / R-forge?

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Mon Jun 6 00:30:56 CEST 2011

On 6 June 2011 at 09:56, baptiste auguie wrote:

| Unsurprisingly, it fails, with the same complaint as R-forge.

Yup.

| > | I was under the impression that R-forge or CRAN, if it had LAPACK
| > | installed, could produce binaries for the relevant platforms, and
| > | users would not have to build the package themselves and would not be
| > | required of having LAPACK on their machine. That's probably a
| > | misconception, isn't it?
| >
| > If and only statically linked binaries or libraries where produced, which is
| > generally not the case. Many OSs (Linux incl) ship source only and otherwise
| > link dynamically, others (Windoze) use dynamic linking and OS X is for all I
| > know somewhere in the middle (as you can get prebuild packages with dynamic
| > linking or build from source).
|
| I see; so basically the user will always need to have a full LAPACK
| installed. Here's one question then, if R-core didn't consider
| necessary to include those particular functions from LAPACK,
| presumably that means that R defines its own routines to solve linear
| systems and invert matrices. Is there any possibility to use those
| routines with Armadillo?

I think that *is* generally what we do. We would have at specifics for the
functions you are after.

| > It can be done; there are many examples -- for example every package using
| > the GSL.
|
| I just checked how RcppGSL does it, and well, this configure magic is
| way above my head.

I know it looks scary but you it is reasonably well understood and there are
tons of examples. I can help you off-line.  Also, read configure.in /
configure.ac and not the configure which is autogenerated from it, large and
generally unreadable.

Gauss once played himself in a zero-sum game and won $50.
                      -- #11 at http://www.gaussfacts.com