[Rcpp-devel] wordcloud

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Sat Jul 23 22:19:41 CEST 2011

On 23 July 2011 at 11:26, Tim Triche, Jr. wrote:
| What do you use when you write larger packages (eg. RcppArmadillo)?

I have been an Emacs user since circa 1995 when I saw the light, having used
vi style editors since the very late 1980s on obscure unix systems and even
(as a port) under DOS.

It works, but does only limited 'code completion -- but that at least is
generic.  Ie if I type now "obsc" followed by M-/ (where M is emacs-speak for
the Alt key) then it automagically expands to "obscure" as I typed that a few
lines above.

That scheme is surprisingly powerful for things like classes or variable
names, but it ain't lookup or class completion. I played with ctags / etags /
TAGS files but was not won over. Some folks (eg Marc Schwartz, frequent
r-help / r-devel contributor) swear by 'ecb' for 'emacs class (or was it
code?) browser' even for R code but I have not gotten the hang of that.

| I've always just used vim but that's because I'm stupendously lazy (also
| because I have R set up to call vim when I use the fix() function, so it all
| looks the same to me)

I love ESS for R. Which is one of the reason I still use rather than the
new-fangled RStudio or, heaven forbid, the console.

Dirk

| On Sat, Jul 23, 2011 at 10:55 AM, Dirk Eddelbuettel <edd at debian.org> wrote:
|

|     On 23 July 2011 at 09:43, ian.fellows at stat.ucla.edu wrote:
|     | > And lastly ... given that also know Java so well: what works well /
|     | better with Rcpp for you?
|     |