[Rcpp-devel] Possible unprotected memory problems

Douglas Bates bates at stat.wisc.edu
Fri Jul 22 19:46:05 CEST 2011

By the way, R doesn't have a true reference counting mechanism on
objects.  The mechanism for determining if an object must be copied or
not is somewhat messier and relies on the NAMED field in an SEXPREC.

The CXXR project does have a reference counting mechanism for R
objects but I haven't tried it in some time.